Friday, September 30, 2011

Edumacation

When it came to education, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. I was going to go to Utah State, and graduate with a BFA in graphic design. It was a done deal--I never thought I would have to question my decision.
Now I've completed 2 years at USU, I'm finished with my generals, I've been accepted into the art department, I've taken all the general art classes needed--and suddenly, I don't know what I want to do. I took a few painting classes, and loved them, but being a painting major just wouldn't work for me. I took a graphic design class and learned a ton about computer programs and how to manipulate them, but I don't know if I can handle staring at a computer screen for the next 3 or more years of my life. It just wasn't what I thought it would be. I barely passed my ceramics class, I can't sculpt to save my life, I don't have an eye for photography, nor would I want it, and I didn't inherit my Dad's talent or interest in landscape design.
I am now considering getting a BA in Art History. It would involve 2 years of a foreign language, directed research, and a lot of analysis writing. I would still be in the art department, so the past two years wouldn't be a waste. It is not, however, a hands-on area of study like painting or graphic design. I love painting--I love getting all messy and watching shapes and colors come to life under my hands. I wouldn't have that experience with art history.
I really enjoyed my high school art history class, and I love learning about the reasons behind the art. I think it would be a good major for me--I read my giant art history book for fun, for goodness sake! I guess I'm just scared that I'll head for art history and find that it's not what I want to do. I feel that unless I truly love what I'm studying and pursuing, it's not worth the effort. If it's not that important to me, I won't work my hardest and challenge myself to do better. If my education doesn't challenge me and force me to really use my brain, then I feel a little short-changed, and I hate that feeling.
I was also worried that I would graduate with a BA in Art History, and there I would be, an expert in a field that has no job opportunities. But I did some research, and there are actually a lot of jobs available to art historians. Most of the big ones require a master's degree, but there are a lot that don't.         
I don't like being so uncertain about my future, especially when it involves my education. I hate wasting time, and I hate feeling like I'm not using my brain like I could be using it. It's so frustrating, and it scares the poop out of me. (Pardon the poop.) Hopefully I'll be able to humble myself enough to find an answer from the Lord. I can be pretty dang stubborn at times, and I like to think that I know what is best for me. Ha! I bet that gives Heavenly Father a laugh.
So.....this post doesn't really have a purpose other than allowing me to vent my frustrations and worries, and to work through my jungle of thoughts. Joke's on you if you read it expecting something awesome, or if you thought this was finally the post where it's not just about me. Hahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment