Friday, May 3, 2013

Moving and Doing

Life is fascinating. I get wrapped up in my own life so much, that often I forget that people and things around me are still moving and doing. For instance: Last night I went on a walk around the ponds to try out my new hiking boots. For the first time in a long time, I actually noticed what was going on around me, instead of focusing on my own problems and worries.

An old man was standing on a small bridge overlooking the ponds, just watching the sun set and the reflection in the water. His hands were in his pockets, and he slowly swayed back and forth.

A father was walking around the ponds with his two children, a young girl and boy. The children were fascinated by the ducks that were swimming right in front of them. The father watched carefully to make sure his children didn't get too close to the water.

Two little duck families crossed my path as I walked behind the ponds on a small, duck-poop infested trail. The little baby ducks were yellow and fuzzy, and they were huddled together, taking quick, tiny steps to try to keep up with their parents as they moved around the trail. When I got near, the mother duck shooed them toward the pond, while the father duck hissed at me. I quickly left, but it was cool to see those tiny little ducks bumping into one another as they tried to figure out how life works.

A boy was trying to get the hang of a pogo stick near the playground parking lot. He didn't get very many bounces in, but he kept hopping back on, trying over and over again to get it right.

A car pulled up to the baseball diamond and a young boy jumped out and ran over to the dugout where he had left his jacket. It was hanging on a pole, and it took a few tries of jumping and tugging until the jacket fell into his arms. On his way back to the car, he jumped onto second base, lifting his arms in triumph.

The world around us is constantly moving and doing. We as people live in our own private, separate worlds, occasionally bumping into each other as we try to figure out how life works. Like little baby ducks, we rely on our parents (our heavenly parents) to steer us away from harm.

Life is crazy cool. I'm just super thankful that someone above me knows what He is doing.

xoxo, Saralyn



No comments:

Post a Comment