![]() |
| AWKWARD. |
![]() |
| EVEN MORE AWKWARD. |
It seems to me that life is easier when you don't have to worry about whether or not the person you are interested in is the one, or if they even like you at all. I honestly don't understand how relationships work. How can you trust that someone will love you for who you are, all the time, no matter what you look like or how strange you are? And how on earth does Heavenly Father trust his imperfect children to choose who they want to spend eternity with? How do people even get married? There is no instruction manual on how to do well in a relationship, and everyone has their own advice and opinions on how one should behave or think in a relationship. It's so ridiculously confusing!
Also: why is there so much pressure to get married early in LDS culture? I understand that it's important to get a family started and all that good stuff. But I swear that if you're not married by 25 (23 for girls), people start questioning why you are still single. REALLY?!? Single's wards don't help with this at all. Every week you get a lecture on marriage. If someone announces that they are engaged, it's cause for huge celebration and recognition. But if you announce that you just got your dream job, or you finally got that degree you've been working toward, the attitude tends to be, "Oh, congratulations! When are you going to get married?" Why isn't it okay to just be single and not be pursuing anyone?
Now I know that marriage is important, and that it is ordained of God. But sometimes the push for dating and marriage makes me feel like being single isn't good enough. Like anything I do while I'm single doesn't count. Then there's the flip side of this situation, where people refuse to get married or seriously pursue anyone because they don't want the responsibility or commitment, and because the single life is just too much fun. What the heck?
So sure, relationships are important. Why then are they so confusing and frustrating and stupid? Why does marriage have to be constantly shoved in the faces of single people? Why isn't it okay to be single after you are 23? I probably sound like a some bitter fool. But I just get so frustrated with feeling like I'm not good enough because I'm not and never have been in a relationship. I've been asked a lot about my personal relationship history, and when I reveal that I don't have a history, I get shocked looks, like I'm some alien freak. Oh, and it's even better when I say that I've never been kissed. The reaction tends to include barfing, fainting, seizures, and then the classic question, "Is it because you just don't want to kiss anyone, or is it because no one has ever tried?" Saying that I have poisonous lips and moldy teeth would be more acceptable to people than saying that no one has ever tried, and I simply don't care that much about it.
I'm probably going to be hit by lightning one day because of my attitude toward relationships (and single's wards). But this is honestly how I feel. Yes, I would love to get married, and one day I will. But in the meantime, why can't it just be okay to be single?


I think we're meant to be best friends, because I've been thinking about this so much today. I mean, I'm certainly only 19 (ish) and for sure not ready to start that part of my life. Buuuuuuttt maybe I am? I don't know. I think a lot of people probably just don't own up to the fact that they got married AFTER the age of 25, but I think it's a lot, or was a lot more common than we'd think. I guess my biggest thing is just accepting that everything happens at different times for everyone. I'm a super firm believer in the fact that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us, and I know that I'll find a man at the right time and things will just happen for us. I also think that so much will happen during this single period of our lives that is just preparing us for our spouses. ALL of that being said, that doesn't make it any less gross to watch girls rub their fiance's backs during sacrament meeting. Ew.
ReplyDeleteSingle = Awesome. I had some of the best times in my life while i was single. ALso i think the people who exclaim heavily about you not having a relationship history are lame and should be told in a scornful voice that it is non of their business.
ReplyDeleteI agree that people need to calm down about the marriage thing. it is a HUGE commitment and if you aren't ready for it then it is going to crash and burn, and then somehow crash again and your soccer teamates will eat you. i support people being single for as long as they want/need to be. And i'm sorry if you ever feel pressure from me about being married, i hope not, but if so just kick me and i will stop.
XOXOXOX
Better to never have been kissed at 20 than have 2 kids out of wedlock at 20. Being in a relationship just to be in a relationship is not healthy. Better to wait for a meaningful one than get all desperate and crazy.
ReplyDeleteYou said this: "How can you trust that someone will love you for who you are, all the time, no matter what you look like or how strange you are?"
I wondered the same thing, and to be honest there are times when I still, after 3 years of marriage, wonder how it's possible that someone liked me enough to marry me. But as cheesy as it sounds, when you meet the right person, it all makes sense.
In the mean time, live it up being single! Travel and stuff. Be crazy. It's fun.