Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Wind Cave-in

I love Cache Valley in the Fall. The mountains look as though someone splashed vibrant, intensely colored paint all over them. The air is so crisp and clear-it makes me feel like my senses are more keen, that I am more aware of the world around me. I wish that Fall lasted longer, but since it doesn't, I'll just enjoy this amazing season while I can.
I've always wanted to be able to capture the beauty of Fall with paint, but I've never done landscapes before, and I was nervous to try. My friend had a birthday a few days ago, and I wanted to do a painting for him. I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to try a landscape painting, since he loves the mountains and nature and all that good stuff. I painted a picture of the Wind Caves in Fall, and I must say that it turned out better than I thought it would. I still have a long way to go with landscape paintings, especially with developing my own style. I want to be able to portray nature in a way that sets it apart, instead of just having a painting that says, "Oh, look at me, I'm a nice generic landscape. Now forget me." Anyway, here is the painting, from the beginning stages to the finished product.

This is the wash coat. What amazes me is that the wash coat always looks.....not good.

I make a mess. Oil paints are very messy.

Primary coat!




Almost finished! Sorry about the flash....





Finished!!


I had about a week to do this painting before my friend's birthday, and I think I finished it in 4 or 5 days. What I love about painting is that it allows me to completely escape from anything and everything. When I'm painting, all I'm focused on is the simple joy of creating. I love getting lost in my oil paints!

1 comment: