Thursday, May 10, 2012

Artist?


Sometimes I have a hard time calling myself or thinking of myself as an "artist." I've always thought that a real artist was someone who went to art school and now makes a living off of their work. Someone who's entire life is dedicated to art. Someone who uses "real" artist supplies, rather than things they found in the dumpster or at the nearest Hobby Lobby. According to those definitions, I am not an artist.
Because I was constantly comparing myself to these standards, I felt that I would never truly be able to succeed as an artist. I haven't sold a single work of art, I probably won't graduate from art school, and I'll never want to spend hundreds of dollars on a single paintbrush.
I think that "being an artist" is sort of a stupid concept. It makes it sound like artists are a separate class of people--Male, Female, and Artist. I believe that everyone is an artist, though not in the traditional sense. Being an artist is a state of mind--how you perceive the world around you. Ever look at a sunrise or sunset and feel in awe of the beauty of it? That's the artist in you. Ever feel an emotional surge when listening to a certain piece of music? Artist. The ability to recognize beauty in the creations around you, and recognize the significance of the emotions that they evoke--that's what I call "being an artist." Choosing to see the world around you as more than just living space; actually looking at what surrounds you instead of rushing through each day--that's when you become an artist.

You've got to have artwork of some sort on a post about artists, so I found some sweet prints and paintings for your viewing pleasure.







Paper cut-outs. So kewl.


This is made out of clothespins!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment